About Me

My photo
Haifa, Israel
Divorced and independent and still looking for Mr. Right in the back of the fridge.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Free Hugs

............
I take my hugs as I can come by them.


For lack of two strong arms to whisk me away to the land of never ending happiness, and for lack of the brilliant Japanese invention, The Boyfriend Pillow, I am overwhelmed at how a few kind words in my direction are enough to bring me to tears. 


This would lead me to believe that either I'm totally pathetic, or that at some point, my uber-woman alter ego laid down for a nap.


These are the thoughts that run through my head sometimes:


Blanche: "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."
John and Paul: "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." 

So is it a bit over the top that I get choked up over the daily scenarios that make up my life - 


  • being fit in at 6 pm for a two hour highlight and hair cut appointment - and greeted  with enthusiasm and a can of diet coke at my arrival;
  • finding a place for new tires where I'm reassured that I can call any time of day or night if I get a flat;
  • knowing that I can go to my girlfriends and they will feed me, day or night.
  • going to the same doctor for 20 years, who will ignore a room of waiting patients to let me whine non-stop that I need a boyfriend;
  • being greeted by name in the work cafeteria that feeds hundreds.  (I'm also greeted by name by the ones who take out my trash... I'm not convinced that's a compliment).

That's really just a stupid little partial list, but you get the point. The point that I get choked up at the drop of a hat, at the first sign of kindness in my direction. This
 isn't my favorite part of me but I am learning to embrace it.


And not to belittle the joys of being greeted by a poodle with my dirty underwear in its mouth, maybe one day, after a long day at work,  I will be greeted by a smile from my special someone, who will have made me a salad and bring it to me while I sprawl on the sofa. 


Perhaps it is a response to the parade of jack asses and users throughout my life, perhaps it is just a response to moving to a new city and feeling at home. What's certain is that I take my hugs where I can get them, and feel blessed every day to have them coming from so many directions. 


..........................





No comments:

Post a Comment